Want to use latest version of tally for your business. Get it here !
How to take backup using 3rd party software like Cobian Backup
Cobian Backup is a simplified approach to back up and restore your data in a scheduled manner. You can connect the application to a domain or a local system account and schedule the execution of the backup process as per your set up.
The following is the detailed procedure for installing and setting up Cobian Backup .
Step 1: Downloading Cobian application
Download the application from https://www.cobiansoft.com/ . Save the .exe in any of the local drives.
Step 2: Installing Cobian application
1) Double-click cbSetup.exe , and click Run .
2) In the setup window, click Next .
3) Click I accept the conditions , and then click Next .
4) Type or locate the installation path, and click Next .
5) Under installation type select As a service .
6) Under service options:
-If you are on a domain, select Use a regular account and provide your Username and Password to prevent any Domain controller restrictions.
-If it is a stand-alone PC, select Use Local System account.
10) Once the installation process is complete, click Done.
Step 3: Setting up backup
1) Open the application.
2) Click Task and select New task or press Ctrl+A .
3) Under the General tab, enter Task name (for example, Backup001) and click Files .
4) Under Source, click Add, select Files , directory, FTP or manual from the list. Select the folder where Tally data is saved; for example, C:\Tally.ERP9\Data.
5) Click Destination and select the path where the data needs to be saved. Select any existing folder or create a new folder, and click OK .
6) Click the Schedule tab.
You can schedule the frequency of the backup with different intervals. Choose the schedule depending up on the updates you need.
7) Click the Dynamics tab.
Select number of backups you need under Full copies to keep. For instance if you backup daily, you can keep the last 3 backups – but again it depends upon your need.
8) Click the Archive tab.
Select the compression type; that is, you can use Zip, 7zip, or No compression.
Note: 7zip provides better compression.
You can encrypt files up to AES 256 bits.
9) Click the Filter tab.
You need to filter the choice; that is, a specific set of files, File size, Date Modified, and so on.
You can exclude files (*.tsf) from scheduled backup. User can continue accessing the data during the backup process.
10) Click Add and browse for .tsf files from Tally Data folder. Next, click OK .
Note: During Backup process no need to stop working on Tally Since the tsf files are already excluded.
11) Click the Advanced tab and enable required options as per your need.
Click OK .
12) As per the scheduled time, day and date, backup will take automatically. Cobian application shows the backup status and backup size as shown below:
Backup taken from Cobian application to the destination location will appear as shown below.
13) In order to restore the data, right-click the data backup (taken from Cobian application), and then click 7-Zip > Extract here .
The data is extracted in the folder with the same naming convention used in Tally.ERP 9 (for example, 10000, 10001).